Originally, I intended this to be an abstract small landscape to use up the paint I had from "Orange Coneflowers." When it was finished, it looked like the ethereal figures of three people. And I can't unsee it now.
The background is palette knifework with a pretty substantial texture. I'd made a pair of handcarved stamps with these diving swallows several years ago that fit the size of this canvas nicely. The border was created by scraping the width of a palette knife perpendicular to the edge. It was a fun diversion to my usual work.
Here's a trio of perky orange coneflowers to share today. It's smaller painting I whipped up using leftover paint from earlier paintings, although I think I usually wind up using as much material as I would have if I'd started from scratch.
When I finish a larger piece, I'm usually left with dibs and dabs of paint, so I'll work them onto a smaller canvas without much rhyme or reason. When it's dry, I'll decide which direction to go. This one said, "Coneflowers!" Have a close up...
I confess I am a bit of a pack rat. I'm working on learning to let go of things I don't really need, especially when it comes to my little "projects." I think I started this painting back in 2012. I finished the background and then got stuck.