Monday, June 20, 2011

Lantern Love

Confession time: I've had lantern envy.  But I can't bring myself to pay Pottery Barn or Ballard Design prices.

I had stopped by ReStore a few weeks ago for a couple of extra pavers for a backyard project when I spotted this fellow.


I was smitten with his little finial.  I tipped him side to side.  I was hoping that the bracket wasn't welded onto the lamp body.  It wasn't.  Since it is a mass-produced modern outdoor light, I figured it was probably held together with screws, nuts and bolts.  For eight dollars, it was worth hauling home to tear apart. 

It was remarkably easy to completely disassemble the fixture.  I took off the mounting plate, pulled out the wiring, endured loads of dead bugs, and separated the top, glass and base.  It originally had a brass finish, and parts of the finish had weathered into a great patina.


The unexposed metal was still brassy, so I planned to spray paint it oil rubbed bronze.  Everything was scrubbed and every bug carcass banished before I started painting.


I saved every single nut and bolt when I took the fixture apart which was a good thing because I had to improvise to re-attach the top to the glass body since I removed the lamp kit.

So for only eight dollars, I now have a tall lantern for my cabinet display.


I'm linking up...
Debbiedoos
Between Naps on the Porch
Coastal Charm
Domestically Speaking
Handy Man, Crafty Woman
The Shabby Chic Cottage
Savvy Southern Style

10 comments:

  1. I have to laugh, Heather, because I have an old lantern fixture that we had changed out {near our front door} and I kept it to do the same thing! I kept thinking the same thing ~ PB charges so much for this type of thing and I basically have one here free that is destined for the trash. I was even thinking how cute they'd look inside at the holidays with some greenery and red ribbon! Glad to see someone else was thinking the same way with these fixtures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, what a bright idea this is. I wish I had known this when we replaced some old fixtures with new ones. Thanks for posting your makeover. I'm with Debbie's blog party, and hope you come check out your newest follower!
    Helen of Helen's Decor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! Amazing how it brought it back to life. Thanks for sharing with the blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I mayy have to do this :D Also, how AMAZING is the restore? I wish there was one closer to me

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!! Fantastic find!! You did a great job, it is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great! What a transformation and you can't beat that price. Thanks for sharing it at the Blogger Block Party!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, so creative. I am going to have to try that with an old fixture I have just lying around.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great transformation Heather, I was at Habitat the other day looking at the same type of fixture. After seeing your transformation I think I'd better go back. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.