I had stopped by ReStore a few weeks ago for a couple of extra pavers for a backyard project when I spotted this fellow.
I was smitten with his little finial. I tipped him side to side. I was hoping that the bracket wasn't welded onto the lamp body. It wasn't. Since it is a mass-produced modern outdoor light, I figured it was probably held together with screws, nuts and bolts. For eight dollars, it was worth hauling home to tear apart.
It was remarkably easy to completely disassemble the fixture. I took off the mounting plate, pulled out the wiring, endured loads of dead bugs, and separated the top, glass and base. It originally had a brass finish, and parts of the finish had weathered into a great patina.
The unexposed metal was still brassy, so I planned to spray paint it oil rubbed bronze. Everything was scrubbed and every bug carcass banished before I started painting.
I saved every single nut and bolt when I took the fixture apart which was a good thing because I had to improvise to re-attach the top to the glass body since I removed the lamp kit.