Monday, January 23, 2012

Basic Wall Shelf Makeover

When we took possession of our current home, we found that the previous owners had left two basic wall shelves hanging in one of the bedrooms that belonged to their daughter along with the pink/purple/yellow cartoonish-flower curtains.  I removed the shelves (and the curtains) and found huge drywall anchors drilled into the wall.   At the time, I really didn't want to deal with patching the drywall, so the shelves stayed.


One room on my project list this year is to dress up the office.  A couple of years ago we scored beautiful solid oak computer desk from a couple who were downsizing and refused to move it again.  After moving it into our home, I can't say I blame them.  It's huge and very, very heavy.  And those white shelves?  They looked cheap by way of comparison.  Since I used paint that was custom tinted at home by yours truly and I don't have enough to patch and repaint the wall, I needed to find a way to work with those shelves.

I picked up a stick of trim at Lowes for about $7, cut it with a mitre saw, and glued it in place.  Since it's too cold outside for spray painting, I used my favorite bronze craft paint.  This stuff will stick to just about anything!


It took several coats to cover the white, but it dries really fast.  And the results:


No more little girl white shelves.  These are big-people shelves now.


I overhauled the accessories too.  More about that later.


I'm linking up...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.