Thursday, April 7, 2011

Where This Woman Creates, Part 3

This is the third and final installment of my craft studio tour.  At least, for now.

First, I described the original obstacles of the room I took for my own creative space.  Like no windows.  Three doors.  Odd bump-outs.

Next, I shared some of my thrifty organizers.  Since one of the objectives of organizing this room was to do it for as little money as possible, I found myself re-purposing things that we already had or I found.

Last year, we retired an old Sauder amoire (read: big and cheap furniture).  It served us well over the years, first in apartments with tiny closets, then as an entertainment unit in our first home.  Eventually it was moved to the back room where it served as a pantry.  But the whole thing was leaning off-kilter and the drawers were broken.  Time to let it go.

When I took it apart so it would be easier to haul up the stairs, I found that even though the unit as a whole was probably beyond usability, the individual pieces might be useful.  In the end, I only tossed the broken drawers and kept the rest.

The interior shelf became the base for this pull-out tray I made for storing frequently used, bulky tools under a large shelving unit. 


Sorry, no before pictures (it was a pre-blogging project).  Imagine a piece of plywood, about 12x36 inches.  I used scrap 1x2s to build up the edges, then I lined the bottom with leftover cork from my Ballard Design-inspired bulletin board.  I added basic shop wheels on the bottom and handles to make it easy to slide under the shelving unit.

Next, I found this old spice rack at a thrift store.


I spiffed it up with a few coats of paint and now it sets on my work table to hold the colors of acrylic craft paint I use most often.  I love the retro-styled clock I found at Savers recently.


Finally, there is the repurposed cabinet door I turned into a message board.  I love making these!


Any guesses on the project I'm working on now? 

Think outside of the box.  What can you re-use to organize?

Check out Part I of my craft studio tour here and Part 2 here.


I'm linking up...
The Shabby Chic Cottage
At the Picket Fence
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
The Shabby Nest
Dittle Dattle
Coastal Charm
The Pink Postcard
Handy Man, Crafty Woman

3 comments:

  1. Hi! You did such a great job repurposing those items and giving them new life. Thanks so much for linking up this week to Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heading to the garage to find a cupboard door. If it ever stops raining I'll get it painted just like yours! Thanks for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Thanks for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wed. blog party.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.