Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Beat You to It, Ballard!

Did you get a bunch of snow this week?  We had about five inches at our house.  I shoveled the driveway yesterday, then about half the snow blew back onto the drive overnight.  Fan-tastic.

Have I mentioned that I miss the days when the mail was actually delivered to your house?  Our first house had a mailbox at the curb.  Our current house has a community mailbox further into the cul-de-sac.  Thankfully, our new neighbors who have the mailbox at their curb do a better job of shoveling the snow in comparison to the previous residents.

But guess what was waiting in the mailbox?  The latest catalog from Ballard Designs.  Whoot!  Definitely worth a little snow in the boots!

Did you see the Carina Mirror?  It's a round mirror with circular beads surrourding the frame.  Sound familiar?

If you've been following me for a while, you might recall the oak mirror I updated in our powder room last year.



See the resemblance?  I'm patting myself on the back.  If you missed the original post, here's the before of the mirror.



I just glued inch wooden half spheres from Hobby Lobby onto the wood frame and spray painted the whole thing ORB.

But the pride and joy of the project is still the vanity light.  Let's see that before up close again.



And the after...


I saved myself some major dough by spray painting the old shiny brass fixture and replacing the light shades.  I found these shades at Home Depot for about $16 each.

Let's do some math:
Ballard Designs Carina Mirror - $239 + S&H
My "new" mirror - About $10 for wooden spheres and about $4 for a can of ORB spray paint

New light fixture - $120
My "new" light fixture - $32 for the shades and the remainder of the ORB from the mirror.

Maybe I'll apply the savings toward a snowblower.


I'm linkin' up...


calm+breeze+banner+friday.jpg  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/Domestically Speaking
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

7 comments:

  1. Great idea and you did beat Ballards to the idea. Love the new look. Thanks for joining the party. Could you add my link to your post, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your changes look great, especially the bathroom sconce. We have hallway lights that need "retouching" and I was thinking of taking them from black wrought iron to something between ORB and burnished brass. You've convinced me! Thanks so much for stopping by to see our cook's kitchen. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. You are very talented - great mirror!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that mirror. You did a wonderful job in your bathroom. Doesnt it feel great to get the look for less and to know you did it yourself. Theres nothing like it. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to transform a mirror and be thrifty!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't it feel good to be a trendsetter? Way fun! Great job on the mirror. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful mirror! I do think that businesses are stalking blogger for ideas now :) I' putting your mirror in the PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.