Monday, January 3, 2011

Cheap Art for the Walls

Hope everyone had a fun, safe weekend!  Did you have a great calendar had to be retired on Saturday?  Do you need to fill your walls on the cheap?

There are some really beautiful calendars out there, and I'm not talking about the ones with puppies and kitties on them.  :)

I'll use old calendars to decorate my walls, especially in areas that are prone to moisture or dirt, like bathrooms and the laundry area.  Wall calendars have nice big images that are printed on heavy cardstock.  You could get them matted and framed, but I'll often just cut out the image and put it in a floating frame.  This great black and white print of the Eiffel Tower hangs in one of our bathrooms.


Floating frames have a great look, but they are rarely on sale.  Pick them up at Joanns or Michaels with a 40% or 50% off coupon.

We went to Wilson and Wilson Art Co. on a recent trip to Eureka Springs, Arkansas and met artist Blakeley Wilson.  We really wanted to buy one of the giclee prints, which were reasonably priced, but out of our budget on that trip.  And we couldn't decide anyway.  Maybe next time!  But we did get their 2011 calendar.  I'm going to swap out the image each month rather than display the calendar as a whole.


I recently painted walls leading to the back entry red and this print really POPS against the wall.  We really aren't folk art people, but their work just makes you feel so happy.



I'm linking up...
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. I love using old calendars for wall art. This is a great idea! I am featuring this tonight at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and have used it as well. I am your newest follower and look forward to seeing more of your creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to do that when I was growing up in the 40's and 50's. Art was very expensive back then. Loved what you did.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.