Friday, November 26, 2010

Heritage Turkeys

I really meant to get this posted yesterday, but after getting up early to finish cleaning the house, preparing a DELICIOUS Thanksgiving dinner, packing away the leftovers and hand-washing what seemed to be a million wine glasses, Mr. Tallgrass and I literally crashed after everyone left.  I slept for eleven hours last night and it felt wonderful.

I must say that the heritage turkey from Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch was FANTASTIC.  We usually follow Alton Brown's method of cooking turkey, so normally we brine. 

When I tested the Alton Brown link, I noticed that he doesn't mention in this recipe the application of an aluminum foil breast "shield" when the oven temperature is lowered from 500 degrees to 350 degrees. We've seen this in his turkey recipes in the past and our birds always come out of the oven beautifully golden when we use the foil shield.

Since heritage turkeys are free range and have a slower growth rate, the was no need to brine it to bring back flavor and moisture.  Mr. Tallgrass just gave it a butter massage and slipped a roughly cut apple, lemon, onion and  some celery into the cavity before sliding it into the oven. 
 

It was amazingly moist, flavorful and delicious.  It was also $4.99 per pound.  Gasp! 

But....
"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
- Ferris Bueller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.