When I received it, the bowl was broken in two pieces, probably from being left outdoors in the winter upright. Surprisingly, birdbath bowls haven't changed much over the past 60+ years, so I was able to buy an identical basin.
The only problem is matching the finish. I'm sure my great-grandmother's birdbath has been painted several times over its life. And my new birdbath bowl looked like this.
Brand spanking new concrete. Charming, isn't it?
Not really. I left it alone for a couple of years to see if would develop a patina of its own. Nope. It was time to take matters into my own hands.
I used a combination of green, blue, and gray craft paint designed for patio use. Using a small brush, I slapped paint on the bowl, randomly hitting the surface and leaving some areas unpainted.
Next, I used a damp scrubbing sponge to scour the surface.
It was a sunny, windy day and I didn't want it to fully dry, so I worked in sections. Some of the paint stuck, but some of it became diluted and acted like a stain, which is exactly what I wanted.
The end results:
Hey, there are flowers in the picture now! I actually started this project last month before everything started coming up. I'm planning more garden posts over the next couple of weeks, so check back soon.
I'm linking up...
Metamorphosis Mondays at Between Naps on the Porch
Amaze Me Mondays at Dittle Dattle
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Power of Paint Party at Domestically Speaking
Transformations and Treasures at Pink Postcard
Transformation Thursdays at The Shabby Chic Cottage
Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring
Inspiration Friday at At the Picket Fence
VIP Party at Designer Garden
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors