Monday, February 6, 2012

Inspiration for the Studio

Call it the Woman Cave, Craft Room or Studio, but its original purpose was going to be a wine room.  So when I painted this semi-finished room in the basement, I painted it a nice dark olive green.

Then about three years later I took it over as my craft room.  It's still green and filled to the brim with craft supplies now.  I really, really dread moving everything out to repaint, so I'm making up for the olive walls with some bright, inspiring artwork.

Still staying on task with my February plan to tackle projects I dreamed up but never finished, I turned to some greeting cards and frames I purchased over the past year like this frame I picked up at a thrift store.


The brown plastic veneer was depressing, so I painted it a sassy red and used it to frame a blank note card I picked up last winter from the dollar bin at Michaels.  It's an empty birdcage and above is printed "Fly."  I like the contrast of the simple print with the ornate frame.


I used acrylic craft paint, but it didn't give good coverage on the slick veneer, so some of the brown showed through, which was fine by me!  It's sealed with glossy Mod Podge.


Next, I turned to a Curly Girl greeting card in my stash.  I love these cards with their fun designs and off-beat inspirational messages.  I had picked up a square picture frame from from Goodwill.  I'm sure the cashier had to wonder why anyone would want such an ugly thing.


All it needs is a couple of coats of black craft paint and a matte Mod Podge finish.

I could get a mat cut for my impromptu artwork, but some leftover cork Con-Tact liner makes a nice background.


We rented scooters during our December beach vacation, and I loved zipping around town on it.  After a long day, I close my eyes and dream of cruising a coastal town on a cute scooter named Spirit, only mine would be teal blue!


Two framed pictures, one window shelf, and the paint is drying on the next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.